The following is ideal for those Fall and Winter months, when health scares run rampant, and you feel your family just needs a little more than store-bought medications. It’s quick an easy!
•a handful of fresh thyme sprigs (or buy organic, dry leaves here)
•1 pint of water (2 cups)
•½ cup honey (raw is best, but regular will do)
•½ lemon chopped
1. Place the lemon in the pint jar and cover with the honey. The honey will macerate the lemons and draw out liquids which taste so delicious!
2. Meanwhile, toss the thyme leaves into a saucepan and cover them with the water.
3. Bring the water to a gentle simmer and reduce it to half, about a cup of tea.
4. When the tea is reduced and cooled a bit, strain the sprigs & leaves, add it into the pint jar and stir it well.
5. Give it a shake and use a spoonful as needed.
6. Store your homemade cough syrup in the refrigerator for about a month.
You can tell from those ingredients and preparation that it’s going to taste great. Makes you wonder if you can just stick to a couple spoons of the gooey, delicious cough medicine.
To learn more about this handy remedy please go to Reformation Acres. As a prepper and gardener, we say it’s probably time to grow thyme!